Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is stencil and how it will help solder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liletian

Full Member level 6
Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys
I heard that stencil can help the solder process. I try to use gerbv to look at files ptc and pts, but they can not be viewed. I am wondering what is stencil and how can it help the solder process?
Thanks a lot

The stencil is a thin mask, usually metal, used for applying solder paste to the PCB pads. It isn't often used for home construction but with the increasing difficulty in hand soldering ever smaller devices it is starting to be used for prototyping. You need a reflow oven, but some cheap toasters can be coaxed into providing that service. Have a look at PCB-Pool's web site - they sell a reflow kit. Also Dan Strother's blog (I think that is how it is spelt - try google.)

Keith

Seethis tutorial for hobby stencilling.

They are using a clear plastic stencil rather than the usual metal one used by industry - but more than adequate for home/small users.

Plastic stencils are fine for limited manufacturing runs although PCB-Pool provide free laser cut metal stencils with their prototype PCBs if you request it at the time of ordering. I don't know if any other manufacturers are doing that.

They also have a tutorial on their site about how to use it, I think.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back