Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

confused about the chosing hardware (really frustrated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

go2tariq

Junior Member level 3
Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all;

I am working with electronics being a beginner. Probably someone here to help me. My sampling frequency is 5000 s/s. I want to make a circuit (amplifier) which detect the current flowing around 1fA. Please someone help me to find out how to chose component to make current integrator people use 10pF cap for integrator I don't understand why. What is cut off frequency in this case to apply filter.

Unfortunately you didn't manage yet to tell your intentions in an understandable way, also in your previous thread, where you had sketched a charge amplifier diagram.

Particularly, I don't understand the meaning of the 5000 S/s rate. A current of 1 fA (10e-15 A) correspondends to 6250 electrons per second. Sampling the measurement with 5000 Hz results in about 1 electron per sample. So you are actually talking about counting single electrons. It's possible e.g. with channel electron multipliers, but not with charge amplifiers, I fear.

Currents in a fA range can be measured with regular amplifiers in much slower time scale, with about multiple seconds measurement time.

Last edited:

Thanks for your help. I used feed back resistance to discharge capacitor but problem with using resistor I get the current as output. Let say if I send sine wave after passing through the amplifier I receive the sine wave which I am not interested. Let say a charged bead if I drop this bead (negatively charged) into a sensor and I get sine wave as a result and I can't calculate voltage. I need to calculate the voltage basically.

Attachments

• integrator.jpg
    integrator.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

I think, you should specify a typical input signal to illustrate the signal processing requirements. They are not completely clear to me.

The shown circuit can be either understood as a low-pass, or a lossy integrator, depending on your main interest. For a current input signal, R1 would be omitted, so you get a classical charge amplifier circuit.

yes it is integrator. I am using this as integrator I just mention this diagram to show that by using feed back resistance we get sine wave again but I am interested to get voltage at the end. Could you please help me to make switch to discharge the cap instead of using feed back resistance.

Sorry, I don't understand where you expect to get a sinewave. I also don't see a need to discharge the integrator in a basic charge amplifier application, as you described it.

Well if I don't use switch to discharge the capacitor it will saturate. I don't want to use feed back resistance. And if I don't use feed back resistance as a result there is a need of switch to discharge cap isn't it.

I don't want to use feed back resistance. And if I don't use feed back resistance as a result there is a need of switch to discharge cap isn't it.
Yes, but why don't you want the feedback resistor?

Ok let me explain you after using feed back resistor the result was like sine wave. and by cap only I get only positive or negative peak. That's why I don't want to use feed back resistance.
Yes, but why don't you want the feedback resistor?

They should be rather 50 G ohm. May be you have difficulties to get resistors in this range.

That's why I need switch to discharge cap. Do you know something about Photon coupled FET switch.
They should be rather 50 G ohm. May be you have difficulties to get resistors in this range.

I guess, you are talking about photovoltaic optocouplers. There are a few fast, low capacitance types like AQY221N2V.

But most integrator reset circuits are using a regular JFET or MOSFET across the capacitor.

Attachments

• en_ds_aqy221_2v.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 99

Status
Not open for further replies.