Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16-20 VOLT Regulator needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xhunter911

Newbie level 3
Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried to build a voltage regulator, but the results ended up in smoke... I beleive that the LM317 is not the recomended voltage regulator for me, since I have such a large alternator!!
I was mainly trying to control the voltage of my 320Amp alternator, that is externally rectified, and running to a series of 8V batteries creating 16-20VDC output...

I folled the easy shematics for the LM317 voltage regulator, and I think that there is too much voltage input... Is there a larger voltage regulator that will handle this type of voltage??? If so what is it, and are there any type of schematics or help that can be added to my project begining

Seems like there would be...

Any help and info is appreciated

Thanks

TRY LINEAR & NATIONAL REGULATORS...

THEY ARE REALLY USER FREINDLY....

WITH USER NOTE...

NO SMOKE & NO BANGING OF HEAD IS REQUIRED

It looks likely you do not understand the LM317 well, please pick LM317 datasheet from National semiconductor, which comes with ful set of applications and calculation, better than the other manufacturers..

For your stuff, LM317 is good enough.

nguyennam

since I have such a large alternator!!

You mean you are controlling exciter field current of an AC generator?

Maxium Load Current for LM317 is 1.5 Amperes, I thing it is to small compare with the exciter field current.
You need LM317 with current booster like this:
4_1163064475.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back