Status
Not open for further replies.

parklol

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am trying to design a 12VAC to 12VDC converter. The simplified circuit is attached below.The problem is that I have to use SMD component. The capacitor I can only find is 16V 220uF, and it is not safe to just put the capacitor right after the rectifier. Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you. -Leo

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 84

I fail to understand why you can't find a higher voltage capacitor? That is the only sensible way.

A non-sensible way would be to use capacitors in series, with resistors in parallel to them to make sure of equal voltage sharing. That would work but is daft!

Because I can only use surface mount components. 16V 220uF is the best capacitor that I can find. Otherwise I wouldn't be so headache. I simplified the circuit, I planned to use zener diode and transistor to regulate the fluctuation. The circuit will look like the one in this link: **broken link removed**

I can connect a regulator after the rectifier to reduce the peak voltage, but are there any other ways to reduce the peak voltage. If you know any surface mount capacitor has higher rated voltage, please tell me. Thank you.

I think it will work. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.